Atlantis Shuttle Launch

I am so glad I get to sleep in my own bed tonight! We are home after a WONDERFUL and VERY BUSY 9 day vacation. Like completely insane people, we booked a 7 am flight from Indianapolis to Orlando May 14th. Here's the thing, the Indy airport is a minimum 2.5 hour drive from where we live.
Why did we do this? A couple reasons. Technically, my husband was supposed to work Friday, but he actually found someone to cover for him. The thing is, he was on call until midnight the night before. Because we had to leave for Indy at 3am, (yes, I said 3 am) he rounded on his patients before we left for the airport. None of us actually went to bed that night. We spent the night packing. I made beads until about 10pm and took them out of the kiln and packed them still on the mandrels in the suitcase to ship to my bead soup blog party party partner from a post office in Florida (more about that another day).
The 2nd reason we did this was so we could watch the shuttle launch. Really, I couldn't have cared less about watching the shuttle blast off. However, I was willing to humor my husband because I really love that guy. So, after pretty much no sleep, we get to Orlando and drive to Titusville where there is total and complete chaos and wall to wall humanity. I was tired, I was cranky, I was hot (still in my cooler weather Indiana clothes!) and I did NOT think watching a shuttle was worth this type of aggravation.
After some adventures, we found a place to watch the launch. It was rather hilarious because we were standing on the other side of a fence which happened to be for a pool of a condo complex. Here's all these people, with their mega zoom cameras and camcorders, etc. looking over the fence and it looks like they are watching the people swimming at the pool. Talk about feeling weird!
It was about this time in my fog of exhaustion I remembered beads by some of my lampworking buddies were being launched into space aboard the Atlantis for Beads of Courage. When I told my family about it, they were excited, yet disappointed I didn't have any beads on the shuttle. The fact is when they put the call out for beads, I was getting exactly zero minutes of time to torch and there wasn't a chance I could've made the deadline. I love Beads of Courage and try to send beads and money every year, but the shuttle thing wasn't happening.
Anyway...the shuttle FINALLY blasted off. My husband recorded it on our tiny point and shoot camera. It was a whopping 2 min. video. All that aggravation for 2 stinkin' minutes. However, it was worth every second of it. The sound didn't reach us for like 30 seconds. Maybe longer. Enjoy the video. It has not been edited in any way and some of the conversations around us are hilarious.
I hope you all are having a great weekend! I am finally heading to bed and will post more about our adventures later.



WOW!! That's so cool! I remember going there when I was a kid to see a launch. My parents took us and it was one of those things that you don't forget. What a great experience! Glad you had a nice vaca! :) Even more glad that you're back!

Jennifer Cameron

Thanks Kristen ;o) I've got more photos and stuff to post. We covered a wide range of places in Florida and did lots of cool stuff. I have to share, but don't want to overwhelm with everything at once. LOL!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To help us prevent spam, please prove you're human by typing the words you see here.